Club P.A.N. (Personnes, Animaux, Nature / People, Animals, Nature) is part of the Wild Chimpanzee Foundation's environmental education program operating around the Taï National Park in Côte d'Ivoire and in the Foutah Djallon Bafing Region in Guinea. The forests in Guinea and Côte d’Ivoire are home to wild chimpanzees and thus the name P.A.N. is fitting as it is also the scientific genus for the chimpanzee. Club P.A.N. was conceived by WCF and the Primate Conservation Group at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in 2007. It is the brain child of Thomas Breuer and Julia Riedel. Thomas has been involved in a similar program Club Ebobo from WCS in the Republic of Congo.Club P.A.N. is a collaboration with the Ivorian and Guinean school system: Ministère de l'Education National, Inspection de l'Enseignement Primaire de Soubré1 and Cellule des Projets Environnementaux.
Club P.A.N. conservation goals:
- Teach children about the flora and fauna of the region's ecosystem, so that they appreciate and take pride in the biodiversity that exists in their region
- Teach children basic knowledge on environmental issues in order to promote care and awareness towards nature conservation and its significance
- Discourage the trade in illegal bush-meat by reducing the likelihood that the current generation of children will consume or trade bush-meat in the future
- Promote conservation and research activities undertaken within the countries.
Please visit the Club P.A.N. blog to see videos, photos and read updates on the activities of the nature clubs.
The Club P.A.N. movie from Schumachermeister Productions can be found here:
Click here to watch the video!
The Club P.A.N. and Club Ebobo lesson book was designed by the Primate Conservation Group and WCF, together with the illustrators Claudia Farack and Heike Opizzo and a book editor Andrea Farack. All pictures and texts were produced by the said developers who additionally own all copyrights and credits. You are welcome to use this material for non-commercial activities under the condition that the original content and aims are respected and the logo and names of the above mentioned are highlighted.
Club P.A.N. book (in French)
Club P.A.N. book (version for primary schools, in French)
Club Ebobo book for teachers (in French)
Club Ebobo book for children (in French)
Club P.A.N. publications:
- Borchers C., Boesch C., Riedel J., Guilahoux H., Ouattara D., Randler R. (2013). Environmental Education in Côte d'Ivoire/West Africa: Extra-Curricular Primary School Teaching Shows Positive Impact on Environmental Knowledge and Attitudes. International Journal of Science Education, Part B.
- Borchers, C., Riedel, J., Boesch, C., et Breuer, T. (2009). Deux programmes d’éducation environnementale pour la conservation des grands singes africains: Club Ebobo et Club P.A.N. », Revue de primatologie, 1, document 8.
- Final report Club P.A.N. 2015/2016
- Final report Club P.A.N. 2013/2014
- Final report Club P.A.N. 2012/2013
- Final report Club P.A.N. 2011/2012